Learn how to personalize a mug with a Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker and a white porcelain mug. It is super simple and a fun creative activity for groups or yourself! It can be used for so much more than just another coffee mug.
Some ideas include:
1) Succulent pots for home decor
2) Pen holder
3) Bridal shower or party activity station
4) Party favors
1) Purchase white porcelain mugs. I bought the FÄRGRIK Mug from Ikea for $0.99 each.
2) Clean the mugs. Use Lysol wipes to clean the surface you are drawing on, or just wash the entire cup with dishwashing liquid.
3) Choose an oil-based marker to draw with. I used the Sharpie oil-based paint markers. They have various color options and come in different thicknesses – extra fine, fine, and medium point.
4) Personalize your mug. Choose a pattern, quote, mustache, animal… the possibilities are endless.
5) Bake in your design onto the mug. Place your mug(s) on a baking sheet and insert onto the middle rack in the oven. Set the oven to 350°F for 30 minutes. Make sure you turn on the oven AFTER the mugs have been placed in the oven. Leave the mugs in the oven to cool to prevent cracks.
6) Handling & Care: Make sure you hand wash the mugs. Using the dishwasher will mess up your design. My sister put hers in the dishwasher and the beautiful gold color changed to an ugly orange. YIKES!